Jan 2008 Update – The new EASY and FREE method is here, which also works on the W960 and the P1.
Jun 2007 Update – Feel like doing it the hardway and for FREE? New step by step guide for the P990 and M600 here!
Got Vodafone, o2 or Orange branding on your Sony Ericsson smartphone? Slightly annoyed that those who have the Generic version have had several firmware updates, whilst your service provider has limited the functions of the phone? Well now you can change the phones version to the generic one via USB on your own PC for only €6.
Now I can’t confirm that it actually works, nor does anything I say mean that I’m liable, however these people on esato and these on my-symbian are extremely happy.
Remember any action you take on your phone is completely your own choice. If you’re not 100% confident then DON’T do it.
Here’s how to do it:
- Perform a back-up of your phone via the PC Suite (or however you prefer)
- Download KulanKendiClient.exe
- Give it a try to ensure that it runs on your computer.
- Purchase a credit for €6 (you only need one)
- Sit back and wait for KK to contact you with your username and password (you may have to wait 24 hours and weekends don’t count, be patient)
- Run the software
- Turn off your phone, hold down the C button (or back button if you can find C), plug the phone into the PC via the USB cable. (Don’t worry if it thinks your M600 or W950 are P990s)
- Tick change CDA and enter CDA162007/1 (P990i) or CDA162011/1 (M600i) or CDA162014/1 (W950i)
- DON’T tick anything else!
- Press Flash Phone
- Wait a short while
- Turn the phone back on. You should now have an extra CDA.
- Wipe your phone via the hidden service menu. Up * Down Down * Down * -> Format internal disk
- Run the Sony Ericsson Update Service, you should now see that you have a Generic World One phone. Hit the Update Phone button and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Wait 10-20 minutes
- Turn the phone back on. Bingo phone is now brandless.
Hope this helps those who are stuck, or have been visiting this blog looking for the answers.
7th March 2007 – I can now confirm that this works after testing it on a friends phone.