Cheap Video Playing Android Device?Posted on February 2, 2012
At some point I want to get my soon to be 2, daughter her own touch screen device. She often “borrows” my Samsung Galaxy SII or Heathers iPhone 4, and they are rather valuable.
It doesn’t need to be great spec, but should:
- Play most video formats (MP4, DIVX) without a struggle, nor need for me to convert them first.
- Play the BBC iPlayer
- Play Youtube
- Play MP3s (if it’s doing the above, it really should be doing this)
- Have games like Angry Birds available
- Not be massive (ie, not a tablet)
- and most importantly it must not be able to make phone calls
Now I’d rather have an Android device, but willing to accept that at the moment the iPod might just have the advantage, however I was wondering if I’ve missed anything else on the market, or you know of a cheap phone in which you can completely disable the phone part (even if it requires rooting and hacking) as I don’t want her calling anyone including 999 (which by law should be possible on any phone, even when flight mode is enabled and has no SIM card)?
Let me know in the comments if you’ve got any ideas.